Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Chiang Mai Revisited

I took another trip north, to continue scouting around, in case we move there some day. The small town connections in Chiang Mai surfaced again. This time I called on a former Thai language teacher of mine, who has returned there recently.

As we were sitting on her porch, peeling oranges and generally passing a lazy afternoon, I happened to mention the cat guy. My teacher’s husband said, "Oh, Ed! I haven't seen him for years! Let's all go out to dinner with him tonight." Ed suggested, as we worked our way through plates of delicious shrimp and Thai vegetables, that the guy I should really hook up with is his friend Christopher. He takes care of a handicapped brother somewhere on the outskirts of the city.

The next morning Ed drove me to Christopher's house, which turned out to be a healing center, presided over by Christopher's wife Homprang. She teaches about massage, herbs, and various other traditional Thai treatments. Christopher’s brother requires round-the-clock care, which Christopher hires from a nearby rehab hospital.

Even without knowing much about her disease, Christopher and Homprang had good ideas about what might help Jip. They also knew, without my having to explain, what it’s like to be Jip’s husband at this stage.

Afterward I walked around the hospital grounds, which were full of the biggest trees I've seen in Thailand. Lovely people smiled from every bend in the road that circles the little island on which the hospital is built. I’d been up north less than 24 hours, and already it was starting to feel like home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chiang Mai sounds good to me. I look forward to eating oranges on the porch with you and the Cat guy. News from the great northwest is 23 straight days of rain and we are just getting started. The Bears are in the playoffs and people (Scott Reighard) tell me the Cubs might go undefeated this year.

I will be keeping the faith. ~cenzo

Anonymous said...

So, the suns out here for a few moments...
and everything feels lighter.

...all the stories of Chiang Mai bring to mind how good it can be to revisit the history we have with a place and people... sure sounds like a welcome transition... home again.

John, I just went through the days of writing, the stories and appreciate the time you are taking to keep us in touch with you and Jip. The pictures are especially great to see where and what and how you move through the days there. Thank you.

gale