Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Loy Krathong with Jip

Loyal readers will recall that Jip doesn’t care much for the annual holiday honoring the river goddess, and so it was with low expectations that I proposed that the two of us float our krathong at the little lake down the lane. Sure enough, her first instinct was to scoff and wonder what part of no I didn’t understand.

Yet I persisted and was glad of it. When I came home from the market armed with banana leaves and toothpicks, she started to come around. I told her I would build the krathong myself (biodegradable, no styrofoam), and that after launching it we wouldn’t even have to wait around to see it capsize…a quick, five-minute ritual. OK, said Jip, but the lake was still out of the question. She suggested the bathtub.


We compromised on a little fountain right inside the entrance to our apartment. It was lovely. You’ll have to take my word that the spot of light at right is the candle in the middle of a very professional-looking boat made from banana leaves. (I’m a better krathong builder than photographer.)

Speaking of water craft, I was recruited as bow man for CDC’s entry in the annual embassy Loy Krathong boat race. We didn’t win, but neither did we sink, and several people commented on our excellent paddling form.

1 comment:

Heather W. said...

In all the hoo-ha over preparing to dance, I missed the first half of the celebrations. I'm especially sorry to have missed the boat races. What a great shot!