Sunday, October 07, 2007

Groundhog Day

I read recently that American soldiers use the phrase “Groundhog Day” to describe their time in Iraq, in reference to the Bill Murray movie about cyclical and disagreeable circumstances.

Chicago Cubs fans (Bill Murray included) also have a legitimate claim to the phrase. Yesterday marks the 99th season in a row to end without a baseball crown.

Nobody is shocked, we’ve come to expect it. A friend of mine wrote to say that “it’s all part of the master plan.” Yet I still found myself wanting to tune in to the playoff games, just in case.

In this time zone the games take place at the beginning of the day, while I’m at work. My plan, to stay reasonably productive, was to check a website periodically for score updates. But I soon succumbed to the live radio broadcast over the Internet. My rationalization was that I was less distracted by a continuous feed than by the wondering.

Alas, I needn’t have wondered. Maybe next year? An even 100 years?

There’s never a wish better than this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hendo,

I haven't read your blog in a long time. I appreciate your posts; thanks for doing this.

On the subject of baseball, I can tell you as a Red Sox fan (not a die hard, but...) that you don't really want to end your team's losing steak. It's part of who they are and why you like them, and it won't be the same when they lose that special (losing) quality.

Some people are saying that the Sox are the new Yankees. People in Red Sox Nation are talking "dynasty." Please! After all those years of rooting for the underdog, how can you get behind a dynasty?

What you really want next year is for the Cubs to deliver what they've given you the last 99 years: another year without a championship.

Trow