While I was in the U.S., the political situation in Bangkok deteriorated. Ten days ago, violence broke out and parliament members were trapped inside their own building. The new prime minister had to climb a fence to escape protesters. The best version of events I read was also the most sobering I’ve read in some time. “Many dangers lie ahead,” it said.
Sure enough, a few days ago, gunfire broke out at the Cambodian border between Thai and Cambodian soldiers. On the surface it’s an international incident, but surely the issue of who controls the land around an ancient temple would never have come this far without politicians needing something to distract their constituents from the discouraging domestic scene.
And yesterday the Army chief hinted that the current prime minister must go. Who would step in wasn’t clear. It’s a shame to see people building (or climbing) fences. What the country needs more are bridges.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Always good to read your views on local events. I know everybody says "the demonstrations don't affect daily life in Thailand" but it sure is hard to believe that all this unrest and especially the airport blockade won't have a devastating effect on the economy. What a shame since it feels like the country is essentially hostage to its political parties.
Post a Comment