Jip and I had a memorable Thanksgiving. She started the day by asking for yams with rosemary. They’re not usually on her list, and so hunting them down in the market took a while. When I got back, the caregiver told me that she and Jip had been discussing where Jip and I should go for a walk after the feast.
I couldn’t believe my ears. Jip never goes for a walk. She has left this apartment fewer than ten times this year. But they had decided that Jip and I would be leaving for Railroad Park at around 4 in the afternoon.
It was cool for Bangkok (70s, breezy, think Hawaii weather), and the park wasn’t crowded because nobody else besides a few Americans had the day off. Now and then an old man would shuffle past us, jogging just a little faster than Jip’s wheelchair was rolling.
At first Jip asked me about certain sounds, but eventually she got quiet and I realized she was in that mode so familiar on Thanksgiving: eyes closed, half asleep, digesting. Lots to be thankful for here.
No comments:
Post a Comment