A by-election Sunday resulted in small gains for the new prime minister’s party, which may make him less vulnerable to challengers and people throwing eggs. The country hasn’t forgotten the troubles of the previous couple months, but with a little luck, governing will become easier.
Frankly, I’m amazed that anybody else would want his job at the moment. The crummy world economy spells tough times for every country. Tourism-dependent places like Thailand face special challenges as people cut back on air travel. Large numbers of Thais continue to show their loyalty to the previous government by wearing red shirts and demonstrating loudly at events where the prime minister is on the agenda.
Instead of guessing why a person would voluntarily take on headaches like those, I’ll just repeat what I’ve admitted many times before: although what I know about Thai politics might fill a volume, what I don’t know about Thai politics would definitely fill a warehouse.
Abhisit has been in office for roughly a month. I’m crossing my fingers that his standing will continue to improve and the sound of squabbles will grow quieter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment