Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Full Day, Part 3

The kids’ bedtimes were approaching, so we said goodbye on the street. My phone rang again. Two other friends wondered which showing of Star Trek 2009 I wanted to meet them at. The movie is showing at dozens of theaters in Bangkok.

But when we met at the theater, Nick said we should choose another screen because the 8:00 show at that place was only for the luxury seats, which cost more than five times as much. We ran into the same problem at the 8:30 down the street. Happily, that part of Bangkok is so packed with malls that we were able to find a 9:00 show for 100 baht ($2.85).

My expectations for the movie were low. I’ve never been a Trekkie (I’m told that Trekker is actually the more respectful term). But I have to say it was pretty great. I’m kind of a sucker for any plot with a time warp in it.

Jip waited up for me. She nearly always does. Even when I tell her I’ll be home late and that she should feel free to fall asleep, she often wills herself to stay awake. When she hears my voice, she reports the latest news from the domestic front. In this case there weren’t many new headlines. She simply wanted to ask me what was the name of that baby who came to visit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, the movie theaters of Bangkok. Never a week went by that I didn't watch a movie there. But since I've returned to the U.S. my consumption of Hollywood blockbusters has fallen grievously low. Good to hear that there are still folks who're keeping the industry afloat.

Nice to see you're still blogging John and great to hear what you and Jip are up to. Cheers!