Sunday, February 20, 2011

Going to Burma/Myanmar

I’m thrilled to finally have the chance—tomorrow!—with my pop!—to visit that exotic and bizarre country just to the west of Thailand. Before we get too down and dirty with the details, which I’ll post on hipbelt, holybasil’s sister site, let’s take care of the name issue. Is it Burma, or is it Myanmar?

I’d been inclined toward the former—y’know, stick with what you grew up with and all—until I read recently in a travel book written by a woman who grew up there the following paragraph:
Myanmar has always been our country’s name in our language, but the British called it Burma and thus it was known to the international world… Because the military changed it, the name of Myanmar was unacceptable to many people, mostly those Western countries who insist on continuing to use Burma. My view is, the military government did not get the name out of a hat and that actually it was the British who did so when they used “Burma.” They probably confused it with the name of the majority race, the Burmese.
Her line of reasoning makes some sense to me. I realize that the choice is more political than linguistic—the U.N. has been using Myanmar, while Aung San Suu Kyi’s party prefers Burma. What do most people on the street use? We’ll see when we get there. Very excited!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Just went through the latest posts on display at "hipbelt..."

I'm envious that you've had the opportunity to travel so much in the last several years.

"At the risk of sounding like a Chicago Cub fan, it’s just hard for me to believe that a place with this much going for it—assets, history, celebrity—won’t rise again. Any country can have a bad century, right?"

I wonder how those who've lived, breathed, hoped, then died feel about that...Chicago fans or those citizens that gathered in the streets of Rangoon/Yongon late last Century? BTW the Mariners are looking like the Cubs of the 21st Century.

ken "I still plan to visit Thailand soon..." berry

Alyssa Au said...

Hi John!

I just read a fantastic article about Aung San Suu Kyi, and I'm very curious about your adventures in Myanmar/Burma. I can't wait for your next post!

By the way, I'm Pre-Law! If you'd like to email me, please send it to my UW email: alyssaau@uw.edu.

Good luck!

-Alyssa