Sunday, April 30, 2017

Buses Upgraded

One place the NLD government can claim a measure of success is in public transportation. Major changes were made to the bus system in Yangon, starting about three months ago. Most of the buses are now new enough that you can't see the road through the holes in the floor anymore. Very few remain with wrong-side steering wheels.

In theory, routes, timetables, and salaries are now fixed. Profits are now shared across the system, instead of depending on the number of round trips completed. Drivers no longer have incentives to speed or take short cuts.

I've been riding buses more and more often lately, rather than sweat it out on my bike or paying taxi fare. When they're going where I'm going, they're better than both. Also, it’s hard to beat the local flavor. I especially like the conductor's horizontal water bottle, resting on an above-window grab bar, waiting patiently for him to come by now and then and take a swig.

Yesterday I took one of the new yellow Chinese buses. Replacing the conductor was a little plastic basket, taped on a pole next to the driver, into which you drop your 200 kyat (make your own change... honor system). The seats had lots of legroom, the aircon was really strong. Not to worry: this one still had some classic Burmese touches. Jasmine flowers and stuffed bears hung from the rear-view mirror, and Buddha stickers were mixed with long lists of rules about whoknowswhat.

No comments: