Thursday, September 29, 2005

Greg Visits From Seattle

Our good friend Greg is in town for a week. His presence is a fine gift for both Jip and me, made possible by his generous wife, children and employer, who realistically are giving him up for nearly two weeks, when you figure in jet lag.

He and I are bopping around town as if it had been our home for years -- shopping in little markets, going to the cinema, eating on the street, taking the canal taxis. By showing him around, I'm finding out how much I've learned about the city in three months. Next week I start a regular 9-to-5, so this time also feels like the last week of summer vacation.

Greg's sense is that Jip is much stronger, more alert, easier to understand, and generally in a better space than when he last saw her. I value his comparison, because he had very regular contact with her in Seattle. At least once a week, he would drop by to help Jip stretch her lower body. When she heard him walk in the door two days ago, her first words were, “Grab a leg!”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have began to feel at home in Bangkok enough to get a traditional Thai massage?
kenberry

Anonymous said...

John, i've been lurking and reading your blog and really enjoying hearing and seeing your and Jip's life. But this great photo of Jip and Greg (and Jip's great greeting to Greg) pushed me out of my lurker mode. Thank you for attending to this blog. It's really a treat to feel connected to your lives.
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Delighted to be able to catch up on Greg's visit 3 or 4 weeks after it occurred. Glad to hear it was before the 9 - 5 routine started and the two of you could do the touring routine.