Last Wednesday, Jip had been fussy much of the day, complaining about this and that but never getting specific. Her moods had been swinging more than usual during the previous few days. I thought we might lose a caregiver as a result.
Then an acquaintance of Jip’s, P’Su, stopped by to visit. I had met her once before, back in March when I came to scout. She’s a wonderful spirit, active in lots of peacemaking initiatives here. Her energy changed the atmosphere almost immediately.
P’Su had once helped another woman Jip knew well, by forming a hospice team for her as she approached her too-early death from cancer. On impulse I asked if she had time to help me translate some ideas to the caregivers that had been too complicated for my Thai. She agreed, and about an hour later, we’d all five had a wonderful exchange.
We talked about how pleased I was with the quick learning they’ve done about Jip’s likes and dislikes. They told us what they were still unsure and afraid about. P’Su was the perfect interpreter, because of her experience with Buddhism, and with other chronically ill people. I felt really hopeful afterwards.
It's likely that a few folks like P’Su will join us now and then for a meditation group here in our apartment. I doubt we'll meet as regularly as we did with the small Thursday night group in Seattle, but at least we'll get a start.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment