It was one of those sticky days when people have to change their shirt three times, and the tour was leaving in less than an hour, but I hopped off the couch nonetheless. Shortly after the group headed out, I knew it was the right choice.
We rode through back alleys, into sweaty markets, and alongside stalled traffic. Thanks to our fearless Thai guide, who stared
down taxi drivers and truck drivers alike, all three of the paying customers in the group soon made it safely to a quiet temple alongside the big river, where we threw our bikes onto one of those cool long-tailed boats that ply the local waters.Once we were on the other side, it was like a new country: jungle-y vegetation, village sounds, nothing written in English. People waved to us as we passed, and then probably wondered among themselves why we chose to be out in the afternoon heat instead of taking a siesta in a hammock under a coconut tree. Our route took us on little narrow sidewalks, raised up on stilts. Riding there required even more concentration than
A week later, I’m still revisiting that side of Bangkok in my head. I hadn’t been out of town at all, so this was just the spur I needed. The next two days found me exploring even further afield, with Jip’s blessing. If you visit us, bring bike gloves!
1 comment:
Hi John,
This is my second attempt to figure out how to use this page. It might turn out that my adventure figuring out how to comment on your Bangkok bike trip will be even more tortuous! Reading about wheeling around Krung Thep Ma Ha na Korn...(that's as of the 50+ words of the name of the City of Angels that I recall)brings back a flood memories slumming the 'Moveable Feast'! Ken Berry
Post a Comment