I’m still waiting for her to wake up and ask for something really hot and spicy. But no. Here we are in Thailand, where the cuisine varies from tangy to sweet to fiery to coco-nutty, and Jip plays it safe. Her breakfast tastes run almost exactly the same as they have for the last couple of years: oatmeal and rice soup.
Happily, her diet includes more fruit than she was eating in the States, and of greater variety.
In addition to guava and papaya, she now eats lots of the huge grapefruits known as pomelos. Sometimes she has been tempted by a pink, scary-looking number known as dragon fruit (shown at right).Alas, almost every afternoon she requests that I make her holy basil and tofu. At night it’s kale and carrots, rain or shine. Now, I admit that I do a pretty good job with these dishes (how could I not have the recipe down pat by now?), but how about some cool local seafood now and then? Instead, Jip asks for salmon.
Chao and I keep trying. He brings over new Thai delights often. We wave them under her nose. And then guess who ends up eating them?
3 comments:
thanks, john for doing this. And thanks to Greg for g etting me the blogspot address.
I had a lovely and very moving 2 hours with Marianne when she returned, just hearing the stories she has to tell. I'm so glad she could go with you.
I look forward to your moving into husband role more than cook role, tho have great confidence in your ability. I miss my sharing meals with you two.
DJ
Hi John,
I like your blog! Peter just showed it to me today. I'd love to visit and use your spare bedroom and try out some of that wonderful Thai food you mention and see the city, including that unique library spot for kids.
So glad you're blogging...it really is wonderful to read your postings.
-Gaye
Hi John,
me again. Have you tried Durian? I'm quite sure it would be difficult for anyone to not have a reaction/opinion about Durian; myself, I loved it inspite of the great exuding of hydrogen sulfide from all parts of your body...
ken berry
Post a Comment