As in many other areas of Jip’s life, routine and risk-avoidance are her priorities. When I’ve brought her something

that was prepared outside the house, she has wrinkled up her nose at it because it might contain MSG or some other nastiness. (Come to think of it, she may be right about that.)
Jip’s niece Boe, who is majoring in culinary arts at college, cooked a wonderful dish with fresh ingredients, on our very own stove. Jip ate it happily, until she remembered that Boe had worn some perfume on a previous visit. From that point on, the food tasted “stinky.”
Holy basil, Chinese morning glory, and a weird looking veggie known as a winged bean remain favorites. She gets plenty of protein, thought it’s almost exclusively from tofu and pumpkin seeds. And we’re always running out of her favorite fruits. Jip cleans her plate. All the food groups are represented.
So why do I keep urging her to add more variety to her diet, or at least to throw in some Thai specialties now and then? To me, it’s a shame to be surrounded by the world’s best cuisine, and not to broaden one’s food choices. I know, I know … I need more to worry about.
1 comment:
Hello from Oregon. 'cenzo here. Thanks for the updates. I'm sitting at my desk eating oatmeal after a rainy dark run down by the river. I'm looking forward to Thai food after we run the Chiang Mai 10K. Now that I think about it, I wish I had some Michian blueberrys right now for my oatmeal. Please send my best to Jip, and say hello to the king for me. Kisses. ~v
Post a Comment