Friday, September 22, 2006

Around the Water Cooler

Lots to talk about at work yesterday, mostly of the “where were you when you first heard?” variety. The consensus reaction to the headlines, among the Thais in our office, seemed to be “What took them so long? This should have happened months ago.”

Of course my colleagues aren’t necessarily a representative slice of the population. Educated Bangkok people may not feel the same way as the farmers and fishermen, whose numbers far outweigh the city dwellers, but whose opinions may not count as much.

I passed a few other government ministries on the way to mine, and noticed soldiers outside the entrances to each. But the Ministry of Public Health was “guarded” only by the usual traffic cops. Nothing like a coup to let you know how you rate, I guess.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Hi John -
Sometimes its good to be low profile, so a low rating is probably a good deal.
I'm glad the coup hasn't been too dramatic. It also was great to hear about Jip getting out an having a good time.
lots of love, Heidi