Monday, December 12, 2005

Nostalgia Travel

The caregivers say they’d rather have the money than the time off, so I’ve been free on these extended weekends to explore a bit. Two weeks ago I took a trip down memory lane by going to the Thai-Cambodian border, where Jip and I first met nineteen years ago. My specific destination was a series of Khmer-style temples that were built around the turn of the last millennium.

Some of them look a little bit like Angkor Wat in miniature. Within a 150-mile radius dozens of them still stand, many of them apparently intended originally by their
builders as dwelling places for the gods. I was most interested in seeing Prasat Phnom Rung, where I recall many of us going for picnics in the late 1980s.

At that time the temple was missing a large carving, known as the Narai lintel, which was traced to the Art Institute of Chicago. The Thai newspapers back then were full of editorials demanding its return. So it was fun to have our friend Marjorie take my picture beneath it, and to remember the friends from the refugee camp days who used to enjoy outings there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a bit of nostalgia travel for me in your blog. The difference is I'm with the "Doctor". That was a good time. I've just returned from a work trip to Canada. Nice people but the overnight low was south of 71. Someday I would like to drop in for a thai picnic.

Anonymous said...

Pnom Rung is wonderful: we stayed near there a couple years back and the early mornings and late evenings were a delight
david

Anonymous said...

Just a note to say Hello and Thank You. Amidst twin toddlers yelling and running and discovering the wonder of holiday lights, it is a treat to read of your life and your travels and your finds on the other side of the globe.
Rachel