A bird pooped on me as I walked under an electric wire. My teacher remarked on it (no hiding the green blot on my white shirt) at my early morning language lesson. He said for Thai people, being bombed in that way counts as good luck. He urged me to take advantage of the omen by playing the lottery.
The secretary at work agreed wholeheartedly, and immediately wanted to know the species. When I told her “pigeon,” she looked it up on a website that assigns numbers to every kind of animal or dream you can imagine. Pigeons turn out to be associated with “66.” She told me to choose a ticket ending with those two digits.
When I didn’t head out the door right away, she sent somebody after me: “I heard about your happy accident this morning, and I’m going out anyway in a few minutes—would you like me to buy that ticket for you?” I think they were both afraid that I wouldn’t really do it, or that I’d wait a day, meaning that some of the luck would have worn off.
So I’m now the proud holder of ticket xxxxxxxxxx66. Not only that, lots of colleagues have told me that they heard about my good fortune, and they plan to piggyback on it by picking the same number. If it gets pulled out of the hat next week on the day of the drawing, you can bet the Thai Audubon Society is going to end up with a big donation!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have now forgotten the particular season; but, l do remember vividly 100's of thousands of what looked like swallows would migrate from China to Bangkok and perch on electrical wires for the night. The chance for luck was an endless flow...literally! I never inquired if bird droppings in your bowl of quaytiaw at the side walk vendor had an exponential impact on lottery chances...John, maybe, you could check on that?
ken
p.s. I forgot to sign the comment re: sticky rice mango season.
I have now forgotten the particular season; but, l do remember vividly 100's of thousands of what looked like swallows would migrate from China to Bangkok and perch on electrical wires for the night. The chance for luck was an endless flow...literally! I never inquired if bird droppings in your bowl of quaytiaw at the side walk vendor had an exponential impact on lottery chances...John, maybe, you could check on that?
ken
p.s. I forgot to sign the comment re: sticky rice mango season.
I am clearly not as lucky as you but I am going to buy both a Powerball ticket and a Megabuck ticket with the magic 66. If you hear a Puma helicopter with the leather seats land on your front lawn, you know I won. ~vincent
Post a Comment