Monday, October 02, 2006

How Was Your Monday?

• Had a few false starts in our quest to expand staff and create seamless care for Jip, but by the weekend I figured the new group had come together nicely,
• got my hopes up during my usual 24-hour solo Sunday shift, thinking it was the last one I’d do for a while,
• then Jip was awake more than usual during the night,
• the new caregiver showed up half an hour late in the morning, sounding like the routine was still a little fuzzy in her mind,
• no problem, I said, because the other newcomer should be here any minute, you two can help each other fill in what you don’t recall,
• except that the other newcomer didn’t come, sounding a little sheepish on the phone when I reached her,
• perhaps because she remembered my telling her that if she saw any problems with the job that I wanted to know as soon as she knew so that I could plan,
• but in fact she had tried to let me know early, in the classic indirect way, by phoning experienced caregiver number one to say she was worried about back pain,
• unfortunately caregiver number one figured she’d wait until the morning to phone me, but then slept in, since she’s not working until Monday evening,
• so I got the message direct from the source,
• leaving me two choices,
• take the day off to help out around the edges,
• or come home to find her and Jip both raving,
• the boss was OK with my proposal to telecommute today
• which would have worked fine
• if only the construction noise hadn’t started on the floor below us
• or if only the monsoon hadn’t arrived the moment I hung out the laundry to dry
• or if only the agency hadn’t called to say they were sending over the fifth new person in ten days for training because the back pain was looking like a permanent concern,
• at which point Jip screamed that she didn’t want to talk to anyone except me from now on because she was sick of having to be nice to all these unfamiliar voices…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jaun,

Good thing you are strong. My monday was a bit dicey but.... Anyhow, keep the faith.

I'm on the road to UAE this friday. Please keep your plans open for next year. With Dusty Baker gone you might get the call. ~cenzo

Anonymous said...

Jip and John, isn't it uncanny how life at home can begin to parallel life in the community at large. I am thinking really positive thoughts for finding the right combination of people for care-giving. Was glad to hear that John is working on some coverage for Sundays with this next round. Love, Barbara

Anonymous said...

Oy. Now that's a helluva Monday. We here in Berkeley are sending westward lots of good wishes and faith that each new day brings something new and hopeful.

We think of you and Jip a lot. And not only because we regularly eat the "Hendo Sandwich" -- as in (imagine yelled across the house:) "Hey Sal, do you want a Hendo Sandwich?" It's the feta cheese, sun-dried-tomatos, fresh basil and olive oil on a baguette sandwich that you invented. It's delicious. We have lots of good -- and yummy -- reasons to think of you often.
xo Rachel