As the outgoing caregivers train a new set to replace them, the apartment is awfully crowded. I returned home the other day to find six women in the kitchen. Clearly the situation called for me to vacate and go for a run.
In an ideal world this changeover would be happening a couple months from now, after I return from a planned trip to the States in June. In fact, I tried to convince our departing duo to stay until I got back, using an assortment of carrots and sticks.
When they held to the end of May as their planned departure date, I even resorted to divide and conquer tactics. I suspected that one of them cared more about money than the other, and so I took her aside and suggested that she could let her cousin go home ahead of her, then follow in July as a relatively rich woman.
She thought about the offer but ultimately passed, perhaps concluding that it served me more than it served her. And so
This rundown of our rehiring is really just the Cliff’s Notes version. To understand all the gruesome details of putting together a new care team, you’d have to buy me dinner and stay all the way through dessert. Let’s just say that this tale has many layers. Sometimes I need to go for a run just to clear my head of it.
1 comment:
You can look forward to many full meals and lots of desserts when you're with us in June!
And you won't have to talk about anything more pressing than running (Willa has her second 5K in a couple of weeks), soccer (Arlo's indoor soccer team, the Elastagirls, finished the season undefeated), bike riding (both girls are loving their bikes), double dutch, and...
Jennifer
Post a Comment