The first thing out of your mouth on the first day of the month should be the word for a certain long-eared, bushy-tailed mammal, at least according to a tradition I grew up with. Jip picked up this habit from my family, and delights in beating me to the punch nearly every month.
Yesterday I planned to wake up extra early to catch a flight to the States. I asked Jip’s caregiver to make sure I didn’t sleep through the alarm. (Jip’s legs need massaging at around 3am every day, in order for her to be able to sleep the second half of the night.)
When I walked in the room to say goodbye, I hadn’t spoken to Jip yet that day. She looked especially alert, as though she had something on her mind. She heard footsteps, and raised her eyebrows at her caregiver, as if to ask, “Is that John?” When I mumbled, still groggy, that yes it was me, Jip rubbed her hands together and shouted, “RABBIT!” Three o’clock in the friggin’ morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment