Sunday, April 08, 2012

How Was I Supposed to Know That Closing Time Was 8pm?

Or maybe the masseuse had a fight with her boyfriend this morning and was still mad?

Whatever the cause, the shortened, brutal quality of tonight’s massage caught me off guard. I mean, I know I’m basically a wimp, and I know that Thai massage is supposed to hurt now and then. But it’s not supposed to leave bruises. Or maybe that’s just how they do things up here in Chiang Mai?

This week I find myself asking often “Is it me or them?” Such moments were common in 2005 when we first returned to Thailand. But in this case I didn't expect to feel confused. In Bangkok I averaged a couple of massages a month.

At the shop tonight they could have told me up front that we’d have to stop early. She could have eased up when she saw me grimacing. A few more signals could have been flashed to let me know that we were through (it’s the only time I can ever remember when the session didn’t wrap up with a light clap-clap-clapping of the hands together on the spine).

But as I say, maybe they do things differently up here in Chiang Mai. Lots to learn.

1 comment:

Tom Cook said...

not much better than a great massage; not much worse than a bad one; at least with a bad meal you can choose to eat less/none of it.