Sunday, July 14, 2013

Stand Your Ground

Several times during the past few years, old acquaintances of mine from the U.S. have written to ask about Thailand’s safety. A typical email sounds something like this:
Can you tell me anything about the safety situation there so I can be sure my daughter will be OK in Thailand?

She just got a job teaching English there this fall. I’m nervous. She’s my only one. I wish I knew how I could protect her.

Would you mind if I share your contacts with her? Although I know she is 22 years old, I still would feel better if she had some adult person she can get in touch with "just in case."
In replying to these folks I always say that Thailand is much safer than America. In most places foreigners go, people can walk down the street at any hour and not worry. Generally Thais avoid situations that cause them to meet force with force. “Standing your ground” isn’t a strong concept here.

This week, with gun laws again making headlines in the U.S., it feels to me as though most places in the world are safer than America.

No doubt statistics could be trotted out that would prove the opposite. And I know that the U.S. is such a big place that you can find evidence for nearly anything you say about it.

Just the same, I wouldn’t feel safest in a country where large numbers of people not only own guns but also want legal protection in case they end up using those guns. To me, the old saying about the best defense being a good offense works better with team sports than with individual security.

Here in Thailand, the best defense is generally a friend. People rarely go places alone.

The U.S. seems to me bound to see an increase in confrontations like the one between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin. Given the choice, I prefer Thai-style conflict avoidance.

No comments: