Friday, October 04, 2013

Welcome to BurMyanmar

Here at the northern edge of Yangon, I took a walk on my first night. The road was very dark. Suddenly I found myself escorted by a monk. He said he was afraid I might get lost without him.

His English was much better than my Burmese, but we settled into a comfortable mixture of both. Our occasional silence also felt right, given his “dayjob.”

We strolled for several blocks, passing homes, shops, and dozens of small stands where people sold areca nuts wrapped in betel leaves. In preparing these “betel nuts,” the seller slathers the leaves with lime paste, which to my nose has a lovely, timeless smell. Even in the dark, I could always tell when we were approaching another betel nut stand.

The mood felt simultaneously timeless and brand new. The other people in the road were doing what they have probably done forever: gossiping, bargaining, sweeping, playing. Compared to my first trip here thirty-two months ago, nothing seemed furtive, or cautious. Change really is in the air. People read newspapers that have been publishing for only during the few months since five decades of censorship ended. Despite what is reportedly the lowest cell phone penetration in the world, places selling handsets nearly outnumbered places selling betel nut.

We reached an intersection where the monk felt comfortable pointing me the rest of the way. I thanked him. He said, "It is both our fortunes."

No comments: