Two young women each work twelve hours, six days a week. They’re clever and cheerful. Both seem to have the Thai ability to keep a spirit of fun in their days with us (in Thai the words for “work” and “party” are close). Jip likes them and vice versa.
Neither seems to mind Jip’s routines, which these days can be slow and a little strange. (Swishing her mouth for an hour before breakfast?) If there’s a spare moment, they fill it with puttering around, rearranging the piles that I seem to leave behind everywhere.
We found them through an agency that one of Jip’s friends had used for her father a few years ago. Ya is quiet in a way that fits the night shift, and has done this kind of work for ten years. Jieb is younger and gigglier, with the cell phone generation’s energy.
So we’re covered ‘round the clock, which means I can go to bed when I feel like it, and then wake up the next morning without an alarm. What a gift to have somebody else give Jip her 2am medicine! Sunday is the caregivers’ day off, just so I don’t forget how to do it.
Friday, August 19, 2005
Taking Care of Jip
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
HI, John...I'm not sure you'll remember me...I am number two daughter of Neil King....old, dear friend of your Dad's. We first met so many years ago...Your Mom was still alive then...I remember your little sister as almost a baby...she might have been two or three years old..
Anyway, I'm writing because I have been hearing for several years about the story of your life and the evolution of your role as your wife's caregiver. I have a 13 year old daughter, born in Mexico, who is disabled. My life currently is very different than yours, but those early years in Mexico, when she was so small and so ill, I was accompanied by a small army of helpers much like the two young women you describe.
I'm not sure what to say, John, except to tell you how deeply moving it is to read about
your evolving life and to feel the obvious love and devotion you have for your wife. I would be very happy to be a pen-pal with you anytime!
All for now....Best wishes
and best of luck mastering Thai!!!
Carolyn King
Post a Comment