Thursday, September 15, 2005

Check Out This Headline: Jip Asks to Go Out on the Town!

We’ve been here ten weeks. Jip has left the apartment exactly once. I’ve proposed excursions. She has usually replied that she is too busy.

I figured that her routine was giving her comfort, so I stopped asking so often. Also, dust and smells often bother her. No shortage of those in this town.

Then she stunned me this morning. I casually said I was planning to go to a lecture at the nearby Siam Society. She casually said she wanted to join me. Like we do this every night.

I was simultaneously delighted, and worried that getting her there would be enough hassle that she would never want to go anywhere again.

But we made it there and back, despite bumpycrowdedstinky sidewalks and crossing Sukhumvit Rd. at rush hour and a sudden downpour on the way home. Bangkok has a long way to go before it is ADA compliant, but along the way several strangers were helpful to us. The lecture was fine, and Jip didn’t complain once. I can’t wait till the next outing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John

Thanks for Jip's photos. Great to see her wonderful smile again! I am happy to hear that Jip went out with you. Must be nice for Jip to hear Thai spoken around her. As I get older, my native tongue (especially my dialect) sounds more comforting to my ears. Michael says hello. yuki

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you had an outing even if you did have a fair number of challenges along the way. Great to hear the details and do hope to hear about other outings.

Lad a lovely outing myself a week or so ago to Gabriola Island just off Nanaimo. That was Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and was an arts festival with 50 some artists on the Island all with open houses to show off their art work. 13 of us from the ski club went and had a lovely time. In addition to the wonderful artwork was an adventure on the beach with a mink according to the locals. Mink and I were both surprised by each other's presence and played a bit of hide and seek. It was all new to me that mink are salt water critters, but he/she seemed to to enjoy eating seaweed and swimming and diving in the salt water all the while keeping a curious eye on my whereabouts.

Love,
B.