Well, I don’t dream in Thai yet.
But last weekend a well-dressed stranger fell into step with me on the street and asked me to donate to some suspicious-sounding cause. Without even having to think, I explained that I couldn’t, because I hadn’t won the lottery yet.
Now not only did this exchange happen quickly, but I am sure that this person understood me on the first try, because she let out a huge guffaw, and stopped following me.
More typically, I have to re-pronounce my words several times, because I’ve gotten the tone wrong. Finally the other people throw back their heads and say “Oh!” And then they re-re-pronounce the word, which of course to me sounds just like the first way I said it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
John, I love reading about your life in Thailand! And I always "wait" to write to you because I think I will have more time to comment--whenever it is that I think I will have time to write. Very silly.
Anyway, your photos of Jip are a sight for sore eyes! She looks great, and your accounts of her life do, indeed, seem similar to her life here. I love her wanting oatmeal and salmon! Are you still planning to work for the CDC. I think I remember that--but don't remember if you told us any details.
John and I are still sorting through our time in Zambia, a month after getting home. We're trying to catch up with life here at the same time that we go on with all the projects we had before we left. We've been to a couple of Mariners' games--just for the pleasure of the sport, of course. And, in one instance, they beat the Yankees right in front of us! Such a joy.
Blog or no, I still have difficulty believing that the two of you are so far away. I drive by your house often, just to see if I might be wrong and to be sure it looks "the same." And it does. Although everything is dry here--with fall rains just beginning to give us a little bit of moisture every now and again.
Give Jip and kiss and hug for John and me. I will try to write more soon. Keep the reports coming. The bike ride adventure was marvelous! Go on another one!
Love,
Lee
I wanted you to know: at Quaker Meeting Sunday Jana Ostrom rose during the after meeting introductions/announcements segment and described her delight with your blog, John! She said there were so many questions she was wondering about, and then she got an email which directed her to your blog and when she checked it out . . . all her questions were answered! Jana recommended your blog to everyone!
It's kind of like a window into your lives there . . . a window we can go look through on a regular basis to view what you're doing on the other side of the planet!
Pretty cool window.
I almost stood immediately after Jana to affirm and second her emotion . . . but then I figured she'd said it all. I was going to rattle off the web address, but I realized I wasn't real positive of the exact info so I restrained myself.
Jana posted your email on the bulletin board in the hallway, so people will be able to find the web address there I hope.
I'm flying to San Diego on Saturday to visit in Escondido with my Mom, sister, niece, brother, nephew, sister-in-law . . . It's sad seeing my Mom in her reduced capacity after her debilitating stroke. But I'm fortunate to still have her on the planet to hold her hand and tell her again how much I appreciate her life and the gifts she's given me these 57 years and counting.
There was another excellent poem on the WRITER'S ALMANAC today, John. Do you subscribe? If not . . . I ought to post that as a comment.
Hope your autumn season brings cooling rains and soothing breezes . . . Let us know how the seasons go in Bangkok.
~ Peter
Post a Comment