Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Now is the Time

This would be a good moment for the world to denounce the imprisonment of Aung San Suu Kyi. She and Burma face the prospect of being locked up for several more years. The woman is not well. Her doctor has sometimes been prevented from visiting her. Her 64th birthday is this Friday.

Besides being the country’s only democratically elected leader, she’s the world’s only jailed Nobel Peace Laureate.

So the U.N. Security Council, which investigated in Rwanda, Yugoslavia, and Darfur when those places were acting all crazy, should go beyond statements of concern to genuine action. The Association of South East Nations (ASEAN), or at least a significant bloc within ASEAN, should arbitrate between their bad-boy member and the big Western countries whose sanctions haven’t fazed Burma’s generals. Arms sales from China to Burma should be stopped. (I know, I know, and then pigs will fly.)

I say now is the time because popular, attractive, well-spoken symbols of a country’s suffering don’t come along every day. It will be hard to match the momentum potential of this moment. You might consider a letter to Obama or to your members of Congress, urging them to press the UN to act—especially now, before the outcome of her “trial” is official.

2 comments:

LG said...

I just did, basically paraphrasing your post!

-Laura

Anonymous said...

Ditto for me, John. I was in Thailand in 1989 when the peoples' movement happened. Sad, that Thailand can espouse their nuetrality on this issue and then reap the economic gain, i.e. teak wood and such, by doing business with such thugs.
Ken

p.s. have you been giving any attention to the new MLS Seattle Sounders? I've got season tickets which includes a visit by Chelsea in July and Barcelona in August.